Discussion Board #3: International Advertising
What role does culture play in global advertising? What are some global strategies that help brands thrive? Use support from Chapter 5 of the text to support your response.
International Advertising Chapter 5
Learning Objectives • Examine advertising within a global context • Contextualize the power of culture by exploring high and low cultural context and
cultural dimensions • Examine global growth across a range of geographic regions while understanding how to
leverage cultural nuances • Identify ways to leverage global trends to activate global growth
Global Context Five Advertising Categories
• Local • Retail brands with small local footprints
• National • Brands in a single country, e.g., Kroger
• Regional • Brands advertise in a specific regional cluster
• International • Broad geographic distribution • Standardized marketing approaches adapt to local cultures • Tide in the US, Ariel in India and Mexico
• Global • Multinational brands with consistent branding • Little deviation despite cultural differences
Understanding Culture in the Context of Advertising • High Context Cultures
• Value subtlety and privacy • Messages are rarely explicit • Usually inaccessible to outsiders • Having local people on your advertising team is essential • E.g., Asian countries
• Low Context Cultures • Value messages that are more transparent and explicit • Interaction is generally open • The strategy for using words and messages that can quickly be interpreted is common • E.g., Germany and the US
Cultural Dimensions • Power Distance
• Distance between ordinary people and power brokers • China has high power distance • The US has a low power distance
• Individualism vs. Collectivism • Refers to whether the individual or the family and community is prioritized • The US is highly individualistic • Mexico is highly collectivistic • Oreo example
Cultural Dimensions • Masculinity vs. Femininity
• Whether social structures are dominated by masculine or feminine norms • Saudi Arabia is highly masculine • Sweden is highly feminine • IKEA example
• Uncertainty Avoidance • People’s comfort or discomfort with uncertainty and their engagement in behaviors
that demonstrate varying levels of avoidance • The Czech Republic has high uncertainty avoidance • India has modest uncertainty avoidance
Cultural Dimensio ns Continue d
• Long vs. Short-term Orientation • People’s patience and their orientation to long-
term gain versus impatience and the desire for quick results
• Indulgence • Cultural norms around indulging children or
loved ones rather than a stricter, more restrained emotional orientation toward emotional indulgence.
• China and Nigeria examples
Global Trends • Sustainability • Health and Wellness • The COVID Caveat • Geopolitics – trade wars, Brexit, economic instability • Category transition – energy and car categories • Desire for individuality • Mass personalization – attempting to provide tailored products at a scale • New ways to access ownership – young consumers want things but have less desire to own them • Inclusivity • Tech Fatigue
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need this assignment or any other paper?
Click here and claim 25% off
Discount code SAVE25